Each Master Report includes all of the COUNTER metrics (i.e., investigations, requests, access denials, and searches along with a variety of attributes) and is associated with one or more Standard Views. Standard Views are preconfigured reports which summarize particular types of activity such as usage and access denials, thereby displaying only a subset of the information in the associated Master Report.
Although Standard Views cannot be “unfiltered” to obtain a Master Report, each Master Report can be filtered in various ways using standard spreadsheet tools to show a Standard View and/or a customized view of your institution’s usage.
COUNTER Master reports: Database, Item, Platform, Title
- Database Master Report (DR) – Shows usage on all metrics and content types. Includes full-text usage, investigations, searches, and turnaways for non-Open Access content.
- Item Master Report (IR) – Shows detailed usage of full-text at the item level for journals and books (e.g., articles and chapters); also displays video views.
- Platform Master Report (PR) – Shows usage on all metrics and content types. Includes full-text usage, investigations, searches, and turnaways for non-Open Access content.
- Title Master Report (TR) – Shows detailed usage of full-text at the title level for books and journals; also contains information about the use of Gold Open Access content.
COUNTER Standard reports: Platform, Database, Journal, Book, and Multimedia (Video)
- Book Access Denied: Shows access requests for non-authenticated book subscriptions.
- Book Requests (Excluding OA_Gold): Shows full-text downloads for book chapters.
- Book Usage by Access Type: Shows full-text downloads for book chapters according to access type (i.e., Gold Open Access or non-Gold Open Access/Controlled).
- Database Access Denied: Shows requests for access to non-authenticated database content (e.g., via DOI’s or Google Scholar links).
- Database Search and Item Usage: Shows total and unique item investigations and requests, as well as searches per database.
- Journal Access Denied: Shows access requests for non-authenticated journal subscriptions.
- Journal Article Requests: Shows total item requests for journal articles.
- Journal Requests (Excluding OA_Gold): Shows full-text activity for journals that are non-Gold Open Access.
- Journal Requests by YOP (Excluding OA_Gold): Shows full-text usage of journals that are not Gold Open Access by year of publication (YOP).
- Journal Usage by Access Type: Shows full-text downloads for journal titles according to access type (i.e., Gold Open Access or non-Gold Open Access/Controlled).
- Multimedia Item Requests: Shows total item requests for PsycTHERAPY video by title.
- Platform Usage: Shows total and unique item requests, as well as platform searches for APA PsycNET.
For more information about report descriptions, refer to the COUNTER Friendly Guide to Release 5 for Librarians (PDF, 729K).
Comparing COUNTER Release 5 to Release 4
COUNTER 5 was developed to provide more robust and flexible reporting compared to COUNTER 4, including customizable Master Reports and preconfigured Standard Reports. Release 5 provides a conceptually different framework for implementing COUNTER reporting, which means that the individual COUNTER 4 reports do not have exact equivalents in COUNTER 5.
You can view a mapping of several COUNTER 5 standard-view reports to key Release 4 reports in the COUNTER Friendly Guide to Release 5 for Librarians (PDF, 729K; see Section 9, Comparing Release 4 to Release 5, page 19). In addition, the list below might provide a helpful starting point for understanding how the COUNTER 5 Standard Reports relate to COUNTER 4 (R4) reporting.
Release 5 reports and their Release 4 counterparts:
- Release 5: Journal Requests (Excluding OA_Gold)
Release 4: Journal Report 1 (JR1)
- Release 5: Journal Access Denied
Release 4: Journal Report 2 (JR2)
- Release 5: Journal Requests by Year of Publication (YOP) – Excluding Open Access
Release 4: Journal Report 5 (JR5)
- Release 5: Book Requests (Excluding Gold_OA)
Release 4: Book Report 2 (BR2)
- Release 5: Book Access Denied
Release 4: Book Report 3 (BR3)
- Release 5: Database Report 1
Release 4: Database Report 1 (DR1)
- Release 5: Database Report 2
Release 4: Database Report 2 (DR2)
- Release 5: Platform Report 1
Release 4: Platform Report 1 (PR1)